Saturday 26 February 2011

Upavon Criterium @ Ludgershall - 26th February

Evening Bloggers!!

Today was my first race for a couple of weeks, and after a hard week of training I wasn't expecting much of a result. Again it was a cat 3/4 race over 40 mins + 3 laps and on a very windy day I didn't know how the race would begin...

It began at a ferocious pace with a tailwind up the home straight, 30mph after 5 seconds of racing, then we hit the back straight... The headwind saw us down to ~17mph at times, whilst sometimes cranking up to 28mph into the wind, which almost split the peloton halfway through the race. As it was, the race boiled down to a bunch sprint, although nearly every rider tried an attack off the front during the race, the headwind just killed any potential breakaway.

Going into the final bend I felt rather boxed in, and didn't think I would get any sort of position from which to sprint, however with less than 200yds to go I saw a gap and just went hell for leather!! I passed about 10 riders down the right hand side and launched my bike over the line to just grab 6th place. A good result for the day I think, but still looking for that elusive first win!! 4 more BC points in the bag though, 4 points closer to Cat 2, and who knows what next week will bring!!

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment