Sunday 20 March 2011

Thruxton - 20th March

Today I raced in the 3rd cat race at Thruxton Motor Circuit, a great track, with a great surface! Me and my club-mate Mike went for a gentle 20 mile warm up around the surrounding roads beforehand. We felt really well warmed up and ready to go. The race started slowly so I tried a couple of digs off the front, but not enough people came across and the break didn't stick, I also didn't want to use all my energy so early on.

The race soon sped up though and with almost 100 riders in the race, there were a couple of hairy moments through the fast chicane section of the course, however as a whole the race was pretty safe and there were no crashes.

One break did get away with about 5 laps to go and they hung out with a fair gap for quite a while, however they got reeled in with 1 lap to go and the race seemed destined to go down to a bunch sprint, and going into the final kilometre I found myself making inroads up the field and was soon sitting 5 back on the left hand side of the track, however as we got into the final mini chicane before the home straight, I lost my lead-out man and was left with a gap that I couldn't make up, so I couldn't get back to compete for the win. I kept sprinting though and managed to get up to around 20th place (unconfirmed).

Overall again, happy with my result and felt strong, I think we averaged over 25mph for the 30 miles, so it was all good speed training. Still getting stronger I think, so who knows what next week will bring!!

Ciao.

2 comments:

  1. Man!! 25mph over 30miles?? That's well quick!! When do you get the confirmed results or dont you get to find out? Sounds good though mate!! Keep it up :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty quick, flat though so not too tough. Results will be tomorrow or tuesday x

    ReplyDelete