Saturday 11 December 2010

Imperial Winter Series @ Hillingdon - 11th December

Today was my first ever bunch race and my main aim was to get round in one piece and finish in the main bunch.

I managed to get 6-7 laps in for a warm-up andat 1 o'clock we all lined up on the start line, the 3rd cats went off around a minute before us (4th cat race). We set off and immediately the pace was set quite high and after about 1 lap someone tried to launch themself off the front, but didn't last more than 2 laps. I took the front twice and tried to keep the pace high, but for most of the time I stayed in the bunch. As we got the signal for 3 laps to go I positioned myself behind the guy at the front of the bunch and stayed there all the way onto the final straight of the final lap. What we had failed to notice was that we had rapidly gained on the 3rd cats and actually caught them halfway up the climb on the home straight! This led to a very confusing sprint finish! I jumped off the front with about 200 metres to go and had to weave left and right through 3rd cat riders (negotiating a grass patch to get past one rider), and finally pushed one last time, unfortunately I saw #21, through a sea of 3rd cats, on the opposite side of the track about a bike length in front of, so I crossed the line in 2nd place.

Overall, very happy with my first circuit race and very much looking forward to the next one!! Also a quick thanks to Imperial Racing Team for running the race very smoothly!

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment