Sunday 30 January 2011

Weekend 29th/30th January

It's been a while since my last post, been very busy with exams at college, but they are thankfully all done now, until the summer.

 Just to update, on the 15th January I went to Hillingdon again and tried an early breakaway, legs just died... Got dropped... Got lapped... Got dropped again. Oh dear.

Anyway onto this weekend now!! Yesterday I headed down to Ludgershall for their cat 3/4 circuit race on a 0.8 mile closed circuit, slightly less technical than Hillingdon, with a more oval shape and a small chicane down the back straight. I was racing with a team-mate yesterday and we didn't really have time to discuss a race plan so we just got on with it! Race started slowly with the first 2 laps at ~20mph, but it soon sped up as breaks started going off the front, however none could maintain a gap and the race seemed destined to end in a bunch sprint. The race was 40 mins + 2 laps and as we got the signal for 2 laps to go everyone seemed to want to get to the front, and it has to be said that some riders do need to learn how to ride within a group, as there was a lot of contact, and a few people were getting very annoyed! We got the bell for the final lap with everyone still together, and I was sitting in the middle of the bunch, I needed to find a better position so I moved out and rode up the side of the peloton, found myself a wheel to sit about 4 back from the front. Going into the final bend, a small group of 5 gained about 20 metres on the rest of us, and stayed away for the top 5 positions, I had found myself pushed wide on the final bend and was lucky to stay up after clipping a pedal going round sharply, but as I kicked for the line I found myself leading the sprint, but I lost my legs in the final 50m and 2 more riders came past. Results haven't been posted yet but I was (I think) 8th.

Overall I was pleased with my ride and I had felt strong, but I just had a bad position going into the final bend, I think I need to work on finishing tactics, nevermind! Live and learn.

In the evening I had the Didcot Phoenix Presentation Night, picked up a couple of trophies and spent the evening speaking to the guest of honour, ex-club member John Paul. John is currently on the Olympic Development Program as a track sprinter, a very talented athlete and it was great to have a chat with him. Had a good night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

This morning was just a ride with a couple of team-mates, I ended up doing just under 80 miles and we averaged 17.9mph, so a good workout, and a nice sunny day along a route I hadn't ridden before. Overall a good weekend!

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment