Tuesday 10 May 2011

Didcot Phoenix 25 Mile TT - Sunday 8th May

Sunday morning saw the first 25 mile time trial of the season for me, it had rained heavily overnight, and I woke up to find it was quite wet on the ground, and the trees were blowing in the wind. Not ideal conditions when going for a new PB! However with the power gains I had made over the winter, I was confident that I could beat my previous PB of 58:21. The course was the H25/17 which goes along the A420 towards Faringdon from Cumnor, then retraces back to Cumnor, it is a mix of single carriageway and dual carriageway roads, and is gently rolling the whole way through, overall not a superfast course, but by now means completely slow.

I started off at 08.17, and when I started off down the slip road I soon got up to speed and found myself flying down the road. My average speed was soon up at around 28mph thanks to the rapid downhill start, as the miles rolled by, my average speed settled down to around 27mph, not bad considering this was a slight cross-headwind on the way out, I soon caught my minute man, and my 2 minute man the legendary John Woodburn, and by the time I reached the turn roundabout I had passed 5 riders. I reached the turn at just over 13 miles in 30:07, 4th fastest to the turn and only 4 seconds slower than the 3rd placed rider on the road. I soon felt the effects of my fast outward leg because I started to feel the lactic acid build up in my legs, luckily I managed to carry on at a steady pace. With 3 miles to go, Steve Golla of La Fuga passed me, I managed to keep him in my sights till the finish and after pushing up the final climb to the finish, I found I had recored a time of 56:48.

I was very happy with this as I was aiming for a long 57, so I achieved my goal and came 4th overall in the event, whilst also taking 1st junior. Steve Golla won the event in 53:21, with Danny Axford taking second in 54:00. Overall I am very pleased with my new PB, and I now want to get on a superfast course and go for a 54 or 53!!

Things are looking good for the national championships, and if I can hold my form I am on course for some good results!

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment