Thursday 14 April 2011

Midweek stuff...

Hey guys,

This week I have been fairly active, with a very hilly 52 mile ride on Monday morning, great fun but two monster climbs over Streatley hill and Whitchurch hill near Pangbourne!! Tuesday I did the Bicester Millenium closed circuit time trial at Weston-on-the-Green airfield, I am using these time trials as training for road races, and using my road bike to try and simulate breakaway riding... One of my aims for the year was to get under 24 minutes on my standard road bike, wheels, helmet, bars etc... And I did it on Tuesday!! 23.58, so only just, but very very pleased with that and can now aim for 23.30 by the end of the season!!

Last night I went down to the Mountbatten Centre in Portsmouth with team-mate Henry Peacock, the circuit race was 40 mins + 3 laps on a pan flat oval circuit, there were between 30 and 40 riders in the race and I planned to put these guys to the sword straight away! I broke off after about 50 metres off the race, and 4 other guys came with me, we pulled out a gap of around half a lap very quickly, and stayed away for 5 or 6 laps, before being brought back by the bunch. The race consisted of a few breaks like this, and I did my fair share of work getting in them or bringing them back!! By the time the bell went for the final lap, everything slowed down, as no body wanted to go to soon.. A couple of near touches of wheels made me slightly nervous, but I went high up the banking looking for a slingshot into the home straight, and i got it, but someone rode straight in front of me and blocked my sprint line... I ended up coming in just outside the top 10, a great race though and an average speed of almost 26mph...

This morning I went out with the club, 6 of us and I ended up doing 63 miles averaging 19mph.. A tough ride as my legs were not 100%, still recovering from last night, but I enjoyed it! now looking forward to an easy day tomorrow, a recce of this weekends road race course on saturday, then the race itself on sunday!!

Until then.
Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment