Saturday 10 December 2011

Imperial Winter Series @ Hillingdon - 10th December

This weekend was round 2 of the Imperial Winter Series at Hillingdon, this week I had company in the E123 race from clubmates Nick and Andy. Conditions were very cold and there had been a few crashes in the 3rd and 4th category races so we had to start later than usual due to an ambulance on the circuit... I was feeling a bit nervous on the line because of seeing the rider being stretchered into the back of the ambulance, but that's racing so I just put it to the back of my mind!

Once we got going there was an immediate attack from the AW Cycles trio and a Twickenham CC rider, however they only lasted a couple of laps before it all came back together again. Next off the front was Steve Golla of High Wycombe CC, I jumped onto his wheel and we soon had a small gap off the front of the peloton, we stayed out for about 2 laps before Steve dropped off as the peloton closed in. I however kept pushing on and was joined by another HWCC rider and Rory Townsend of Prestige VC, and we stayed out for another 2 laps before being brought back again. A good little stretch of the legs early on for me and I felt fairly strong but with all the strongest riders still in the bunch it was always going to be hard to make the break stick.

2-up Break with Steve Golla

The race continued at varying paces and attacks continued going off the front, including a couple from fellow Zappi rider Nick Baker, none however stayed away for much more than a couple of laps. With about ten minutes to go a break of 3 had pulled out a 10 second gap on the bunch and were maintaining it every lap, I was helping with the workload on the front and steadily the gap was coming down, and with a massive effort from Jamie Pine of London Dynamo the gap came down and we caught 2 of the 3 riders out front...

Driving it on the front

However Rory Townsend had attacked the break with just over a lap to go and had a decent gap, I moved up towards the front and slotted in 2nd wheel behind Nick, however he was quickly running out of gas, so a few guys attacked round the outside. I jumped onto the wheel of Stephen Bradbury as he flew past and I started my sprint with 250 metres to go, I kicked hard and found myself in 5th right up until the line... When I had two guys lunge past me on the line, so I settled for 7th. Slightly annoying, but I was very happy nonetheless to see my sprint training starting to pay off. Steve Golla had taken the win with a last gasp surge past Townsend who was pipped into 2nd place.

SPRINT!

Overall a very good day out, felt strong and got in a few breaks, also managed to get my first points on my 2012 licence and I am now on the way to gaining my 1st category licence. Looking to build on this next weekend with another placing in the top 10.

Until then, Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment