Saturday 3 December 2011

Imperial Winter Series @ Hillingdon - 3rd December

Believe it or not, the 2012 season started today!!

I arrived at the Hillingdon Cycle Circuit early so I could watch my team mates Nick and Andy in their respective races. There was a lot of anticipation within our club of how Nick would do in the 4th cat race because he had been smashing everybody to pieces on club rides. Low and behold, he looked at ease in this afternoons race, sitting in a good position throughout the race and testing his legs a few times before letting rip with half a lap to go and beating everyone by a good 50 metres. More to come from this boy.

Andy played a tactical game in the 3rd cat race by saving all his energy hanging in the bunch, unfortunately this meant he missed the decisive break of 6 that stayed away till the end. He did however have a big kick at the end and managed to take (we think) 8th place. Well done!

Since my 2 week break after the summer season I have done mainly base miles on my winter training bike, and it was nice to get back on my Cervelo race bike. I thought I had lost a lot of top end speed and felt I would struggle in the race, I did however surprise myself and felt a lot stronger than I had been in training. The race started with 2 guys shooting off the front and staying away, for the whole race. Bye bye... The bunch experienced lots of little attacks and the pace was going up and down for the whole race, come the final lap I sadly found myself on the front taking the wind, I didn't fancy leading out the other racers so I slowed the bunch right down before popping off the front with 3/4 of a lap to go, probably too early but i stayed away until about 150 metres to go, when almost everyone went past me. Think I may have scratched the top 20... Oh well... generally felt good throughout and looking forward to the rest of the series now and hopefully getting some better results!

Until next week - Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment